Thursday, March 26, 2009

Weebeasts: Plight by Micah Linton

Weebeasts Plight by Micah Linton
Geared Towards: Ages 3+
Published By: Beast Stew
Publication Date: March 2009
ISBN: 978-0-9821734-0-4

If your young child is a fan of oddities like trolls, gremlins, ogres, and the like then you must look in to getting a copy of Micah Linton's Weebeasts books. Recently I was given the opportunity to review the second book in the picture book series, Weebeasts: Plight, and I have to say I'm sure I've never seen anything quite like it. Other reviews I've noticed online are all extremely positive for this book line. I, however, am really not 100% certain what I think. The creatures themselves are very inventive, but they're kind of a little bit scary too. I suppose that's the point though when likened to the other odd creatures mentioned above.

The story for Weebeasts: Plight, finds the Weebeast civilization in an uproar. Having been quite unkind to the neighboring species, the Weebeasts find themselves having to leave their home in search of someplace new to live. They search and they search, but quickly they realize how good they had it before they let their unneighborly behavior get in the way. Now with no place to go the Weebeasts must learn to thrive and survive if they're ever going to locate a new place to call home.

It's a simple story, but one that children will likely enjoy. The artwork, also by Linton, is again very simplistic yet incredibly bright colored and unique. Someone on another review I saw posted commented about the similarity between the Weebeasts and Dr. Seuss's Sneetches. I just have to say that I couldn't agree more. This was actually my very first thought when I initially saw the Weebeast character. Growing up, the Sneetches were always my favorite of Seuss's characters, so I found it quite fun to see the resemblance (implied or otherwise) here.

While noted as geared towards kids from ages 3 up, neither of my girls, ages 3 and 5, had any interest in this book. I think for them it wasn't the story but rather the bizarre illustrations that turned them off. Like I said earlier, they're creative but maybe a little too extreme for some of the younger readers. That or maybe if my princess-y girls were rough and tumble boys they'd find a bigger appeal in it? Either way, my thanks go out to the author for giving me this review opportunity.

Additionally, Linton sent along a copy of the Weebeastology: Volume One book set and a plush Weebeast. If you pick up the picture books and really enjoy the illustrations then I highly recommend you check out these books as well. There aren't any words, but the Weebeastology books are filled with more pages upon pages of Weebeast illustrations.

OUR RATING: 4 hearts

No comments: