Friday, March 27, 2009

COMING SOON: Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs... the Movie

One of my favorite books to read my girls has always been Judi and Ron Barrett's Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. The story is that of one big imaginative adventure, and the illustrations drawn by Ron perfectly capture the absurdity of it all.

So, imagine my surprise when tonight my husband stumbles upon a movie trailer for, you've guessed it, a new animated adaption of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. First there was a spark of excitement at the prospect, but I quickly became skeptical as I watched the intro to the trailer. Don't get me wrong, the animation is great and the story sounds cute. But it is NOT Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. Unless I've been reading a completely different version all these years, the writers for this new and upcoming screenplay have done a serious number on the script and have rewritten an already exceptional classic. I haven't even seen the movie and I'm already thoroughly disappointed!

I have no doubt that as a stand alone film this movie may be cute and a real crowd pleaser, especially when it's released in it's 3-D format this coming September 2009. I however, think it's a real shame that it seems the writers/directors have deviated so far from the original storyline.

I'm attaching the trailer below. Anyone interested in sharing his thoughts is welcome. I'm curious to see if anyone else has the same feelings about as I do, or if I'm just being overly sensitive on the subject. Thoughts?


2 comments:

Chesh said...

It's strange that they always seem to do that to all the real good stories. Like 'Cat in the Hat' and now this one. I just wish if they were going to make a good story into a movie, they would stick to the actual plot. Laters....

Anonymous said...

Oh, a movie. My daughter will be thrilled. Her class designed a book called Cloudy With A Chance of P5 (her pre-k room)!